Skip to main content

Apple may discontinue iPhone X around July-August



SAN FRANCISCO: More sluggish-than-expected response may lead Apple to discontinue the first-generation iPhone Xaround mid-2018 as the second-generation model is set for launch later this year, an analyst associated with Taiwanese business group KGI Securities has said. 

According to Ming-Chi Kuo, the most famous analyst with KGI Securities when it comes to Apple, the Cupertino-based giant will not sell iPhone X at lower price as it will hurt its other products in the lower-priced premium segment. 

Kuo estimated that Apple would ship about 18 million iPhone X units in the January-March quarter in 2018, MacRumors reported late on Monday. 


We revise down 1Q18 and 2Q18 shipments of iPhone X to 18 million units and 13 million units, respectively, lower than market consensus of 20-30 million and 15-20 million units," Kuo said. 

"We expect iPhone X will go to end of life (EOL) around mid-2018 and that total life cycle shipments will be around 62 million units, lower than our previous forecast of 80 million units," the analyst said. 

"iPhone X would hurt product brand value and lineup of 2H18 new models if it continues to sell at a lower price after 2H18 new models launch," Kuo said. 

"Additionally, to sell iPhone X at a lower price may have a negative impact on shipments of the new 6.1-inch LCD iPhone in 2H18," the analyst predicted. 

Weaker-than-expected demand for iPhone X in China has led market analysts to revise down shipments for the first half of 2018. 

According to Kuo, iPhone X is not yet compatible with many popular Chinese apps, leading many customers to see it as offering less usable screen space than 5.5-inch iPhone Plus models. 

"This confusion, coupled with the high price of iPhone X, is thought to have undercut replacement demand," the report added. 

Kuo, however, said the overall iPhone shipments will maintain year-on-year growth of 0-5 per cent over the first half of 2018.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WhatsApp's chief business officer Neeraj Arora quits

  Neerja Arora ,  WhatsApp ’s chief business officer, is the latest Facebook executive to step down the facebook cluster of companies in the last few months. In a Facebook post , Arora said he is “going to be taking some time off to recharge and spend time with family,” and thanked WhatsApp co-founders Jan Koum and Brian Acton.  Koum stepped down as WhatsApp CEO earlier this year over disagreements with Facebook executives over privacy and encryption. Acton had left WhatsApp a year ago, in September 2017, to start his own non-profit. However, a few months later, he urged people to #deletefacebook on his Twitter account. The co-founders’ departure reportedly boiled down to disagreements over the monetization options for WhatsApp which has been anti-ads since the beginning. It is time. #deletefacebook — Brian Acton (@brianacton) March 20, 2018 Arora had been with WhatsApp since 2011, when the company was just two years old. He was with the...

Musk's new pay deal could make him the world's richest man—if Tesla succeeds

It is the  Elon Musk  of corporate pay deals, a cocksure, all-or-nothing moonshot into history. Little wonder, then, that it is for none other than Elon Musk.  Tesla  Inc. granted the billionaire founder a $2.6 billion award, the largest-ever of its kind, underscoring the company's outsize ambitions and how intimately connected its future success is to Musk. If fully vested over a decade, stock options would net him as much as $55.8 billion. Along the way, nothing would be guaranteed -- zero salary or cash bonuses.  The audacious award outlines a plan for Tesla to become one of the world's biggest companies, which would make Musk perhaps the richest man on the planet in the process, but without as detailed a road map to get there as was provided with his last award. This, too, is very Musk-like -- set big-picture, moonshot end goals, particulars be damned.  "It's breathtaking both in size and in terms of performance required to earn it," Steven Hall...

Camera comparison: Huawei P30 Pro vs S10+, iPhone XS, Pixel 3, Mi 9, Mate 20 Pro

Huawei's been bringing us some of the most meaningful camera innovations in smartphones over the past few years, experimenting with monochrome modules, image stacking, and night mode, off the top of our heads. The Huawei P30 Pro is now official and it's got a new trick up its sleeve - a periscope telephoto camera. We've had the chances to review the P30 Pro and you can read all of our findings in the in-depth review here. But the novel camera tech prompted us to do a more in-depth comparison against the other big names on the market. While at it, we figured we shouldn't limit ourselves just to zoomed in shots, because let's face it <br /> - no other phone has a 5x zoom camera. Hence, this shootout. The lineup for this comparison includes the Samsung Galaxy S10+, which comes with an ultra wide camera, and it's wider than the P30 Pro's but lacks autofocus. As is very much the norm (which Huawei aims to break), the Galaxy's telephoto ...