Skip to main content

Jeff Bezos becomes first billionaire since 1999 to have net worth over $100 billion



Amazon founder Jeff Bezos’s net worth has crossed the magical $100 billion mark. Amazon’s shares surged by more than two percent due to Black Friday sales. In the process, he became the first billionaire since 1999 to build a 12-figure net worth.

According to Bloomberg, this year itself, worth of Bezos rose by around $34 billion. Amazon (AMZN, Tech30) stock climbed 2.5 per cent on Friday to put Bezos over the top. The stock got a lift from reports that online shopping on Thanksgiving and Black Friday jumped 18 per cent compared with last year. On Friday alone, Bezos made almost $2.4 billion. He owns 78.9 million shares of Amazon, worth $93.6 billion.

In 2013, Bezos purchased The Washington Post newspaper. A number of other business investments are also managed through Bezos Expeditions.

When the financial markets opened on July 27, 2017, the 53-year-old briefly surpassed Bill Gates on the Forbes list of billionaires to become the world’s richest person, with an estimated net worth of just over $90 billion. He lost the title later in the day when Amazon’s stock dropped, returning him to second place with a net worth just below $90 billion. However, on October 27, 2017, Bezos again surpassed Gates on the Forbes list as the richest person in the world.

Gates is believed to be the only other person to reach $100 billion. That was in 1999, when the internet stock bubble briefly put him over the mark.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple releases new iOS 12 beta, putting a stop to infuriating update notification

A new iOS update is now available (for real) “A new iOS update is now available. Please update from the iOS 12 beta.” If you’ve been running the latest version of Apple’s beta software for OS 12, you’ve likely been pestered by this notification a whole lot over the last 24 hours. Dozens of times? Potentially hundreds? Yesterday, it started showing up every time an iOS device was unlocked — or even if you just pulled down the notification tray a little bit. Thankfully, just as we enter Labor Day weekend, Apple has shipped another iOS 12 update to restore sanity. If you open up your iPhone’s settings, iOS 12 public beta 10 (developer beta 12) is now available to download. Once you do, the obnoxious, constant alert — about an update that didn’t even exist — will go away. GuilhermeRamo managed to pinpoint what went wrong with the last iOS 12 beta. The build thought it was about to expire, thus setting off the string of notifications and mass frustration: This annoying hiccup...

80% Youngsters Want TikTok Banned in India: Survey

In indIn 8 out of 10 millennials people want the controversial Chinese video app TikTok to be banned, reveals a survey by popular news app Inshorts. This comes after the Madras High Court last week advised the Central government to ban the app claiming it was encouraging pornography among youngsters. They further added that it was harming the foundation of the nation, its cultures and values. What do you think is the right thing to do? #PUBG #TikTok #PUBGBan — Beebom (@beebomco) March 14, 2019 The court said that inappropriate content was being made accessible to a large chunk of users through TikTok, owned by Chinese company ByteDance, and the government has a social responsibility to stop it right away. TikTok, on the other hand, put out a statement saying it was committed to abiding by local laws and regulations. “We fully comply with the Information Technology (Intermediaries Guidelines) Rules, 2011. We are currently awaiting the official order by the Mad...

Redmi Note 7 Pro Said to Pass 3C Certification, Tipped to Launch After Mi 9

HIGHLIGHTS Redmi Note 7 Pro may come with 18W fast charging The phone is tipped to launch after Xiaomi Mi 9 Redmi Note 7 Pro may come with model number M1901F7BE At the Redmi Note 7 launch, Xiaomi had confirmed that a Redmi Note 7 Pro variant with a 48-megapixel Sony IMX586 sensor will be launched later. While Xiaomi had said that the phone will launch after the Spring Festival this year, it didn't reveal an exact date. Now, the Redmi Note 7 Pro has been spotted on 3C certification indicating that it should launch soon. Redmi CEO Lu Weibing also suggests that the Redmi Note 7 Pro will launch after the Xiaomi Mi 9 - expected to be unveiled on February 20. The Redmi Note 7 Pro has reportedly passed 3C certification, and is listed with model number M1901F7BE. To recall, the Redmi Note 7 launched last month carry model numbers M1901F7C, M1901F7E, and M1901F7T, indicating that the latest listing is for the Redmi Note 7 Pro. Additionally, a MDY-08-ES charger is a...